17.3.14

monday menu


Monday's are kind of our Fridays. And last Monday we went kind of all the way with a three course meal. We kept it easy though. No need to exhaust ourselves.
I wanted to do something French, but I felt a bit uninspired for the starter, so we drank a nice fresh white wine with some crispy bread, aioli & some (Italian) cold cuts.


For the main course, I picked up two chunky entrecotes from the butcher and a nice bottle of red.
I made a sauce to go with the entrecote (I'm terrible at reducing, impatient eh...? was delicious nonetheless). And bought a bottle of Bordeaux wine (when you eat Frenchy food, you got to have some French wine, you know...you just have to). A simple green salad on the side, and crispy herby potatoes. Brilliant.

Chateaubriand sauce
Butter - 75 g
Shallots - 2
Mushrooms - 150 g
Garlic - 1 clove
Dry white wine - 150 ml
Chicken stock - 300 ml
Dried tarragon - 1 tablespoon (levelled)

Honey-mustard vinaigrette 
olive oil - three spoons 
white wine vinegar - one spoon
pepper & salt - as much as you like
fresh parsley - as much as you like
dijon mustard - one teaspoon
honey - one teaspoon

I added chopped walnuts to the salad for extra crunch.

Thyme & parmesan roast potato
And for the potato side, I simply sliced potatoes and mixed them with thyme, salt, pepper, olive oil and parmesan cheese. And put them in the oven (200C) for about 25 minutes. 






For dessert I made/attempted a tarte tatin. This was actually the second try in making a nice tarte tatin. The last one got all mushy and applesauce-like. So this time I used different apples, and changed the method. 
It's not there yet, but it's getting closer. I'm not going to outline how I made this tarte tatin, as it wasn't quite the way it's supposed to be. I did learn Jonagolds work better than 'Goudreinetten'. 

And wait... what does Wikipedia tell me?  Goudreinetten are called Belle de Boskoop in English?! 
You learn something new every day, don't you? Weird name for an apple anyway. 


Au revoir!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen